Re: cycle back through recent candidates for completion

On Dec 29,  1:27pm, Dave Yost wrote:
} Subject: cycle back through recent candidates for completion
}
} Z% echo
} zsh: do you wish to see all 405 possibilities (405 lines)?
}
} If I type up-arrow to that prompt, I get this:
}
} Z% echo [A

That prompt only accepts two answers, "y" or tab for yes, or any other
character which is interpreted as "no". So the three-character sequence
that's emitted by up-arrow is interpreted as "no" followed by two
characters that get left for ZLE to consume.

ZLE isn't like emacs in that the builtin commands are not implemented in
terms of its own input system, so prompts like this are handled outside
of the regular keybinding control flow and it's non-trivial to treat
the input they receive as arbitrary editor commands.

} It would be better if up-arrow would take me to the most recent echo
} command, just as up-arrow on an empty command line prompt takes me
} to the most recent command. Of course, both up-arrow and down-arrow
} should allow navigation here.

Have you tried

	zstyle :completion:history-words:\* list false

to see if that's closer to what you want?