Re: One-command mail import with X-Seq: and ChangeLog (was: Re: Access to CVS)

On Apr 5,  6:57pm, Frank Terbeck wrote:
} Subject: One-command mail import with X-Seq: and ChangeLog
}
} My go at this is available at: https://github.com/ft/zsh-am

Thanks for this, Frank.  Particularly the README.org, which is a lot
more like what I was hoping would end up in Etc/zsh-development-guide
than what we settled on (which is not meant as a slight against any of
those who worked on updating z-d-g; I wouldn't have known what to ask
for at the time).

The one thing I'm finding missing from both places is a discussion of
how to perform a simple one-file (well, two, counting ChangeLog) push
directly from a clone of the master.  Can I --amend a commit without
having a branch, or must I wait even to commit until I've edited the
ChangeLog?  Or is creating a branch THE way, and I should ignore all
the discussion of branching for "a feature" and just create a branch
that's always there and use it repeatedly whenver I edit?

}   - Mark mails containing commits in MUA
}   - Make MUA save those Mails into mbox file
}   - Call: zsh-am the-mbox-file

I think the first thing I'm going to do unless you beat me to it is to
make zsh-am read patch emails from standard input ... it's just way too
easy in e.g. Alpine to hit "|" rather than save the message.  I know
a number of people send patches in several parts and want to commit
them all at once, but far and away the most common thing is to want to
operate on just one message.

(Aside: zsh-am is a bash script?  Horrors! :-)