"make info" fails with new versions of texinfo

Hi list,

on IRC someone noticed "make info" breaking.

I then tried building info documentation with texinfo versions 4.13 and
5.1, and indeed the newer version fails with the following output:

[snip]
makeinfo ./zsh.texi
./zsh.texi:433: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:1083: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:1654: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:14714: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:22674: @itemx must follow @item
./zsh.texi:23289: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:23434: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:23867: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:23895: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:25010: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:25013: warning: @item missing argument
./zsh.texi:25016: warning: @item missing argument
make[1]: *** [zsh.info] Error 1
[snap]

I have virtually no idea what's going on. Maybe someone with stronger
texinfo-fu can take a look? I am Cc:ing Frank B. Brokken, who appears to
be the yodl-guy, according to http://yodl.sourceforge.net. If this is a
case of yodl generating texinfo sources incompatible with newer versions
of texinfo maybe he can help.

Just a short recipe for Frank to reproduce, if he wants to:

[snip]
% git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/zsh/code zsh
% cd zsh
% ./Util/preconfig
% ./configure
% make info
[snap]

The last step, at least with texinfo version 5.1, will fail during a
"makeinfo" call as shown further above.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925