Re: git branches and compilation

On 15 June 2013 21:46, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday, May 18, 2013, Phil Pennock wrote:
>
>> On 2013-05-18 at 16:24 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>> > (One of the few things I'm finding annoying about git is that
>> > a cloned repository doesn't preserve file timestamps.)
>>
>> There's a post-checkout hook [...]
>
> Having been annoyed a couple of times by things not recompiling when a
> different branch is checked out (especially the texinfo inputs in Doc/,
> leading to reams of bad node errors when doing "make info") I dug into
> this a bit further and found "metastore".
>
> http://david.hardeman.nu/software.php
>
> It's available as a Debian package and seems so far to do what I want,
> although I haven't really been able to test it thoroughly because no one
> else has pushed anything in the past couple of days.

I don't quite understand the purpose... When you change branches you want
the source files to have an updated mtime, otherwise they will not be newer
than the build files of the previously checked out branch and make will not
rebuild. So what git does is what you usually want for source code -> "the
files on disk changed so rebuild". How does setting the timestamps older
help?

--
Mikael Magnusson