bind key information - filename completion

I want to start using the zsh, but my arrow keys (for legacy reasons)
are not configured in a standard way, and I can't use them to navigate
the list of files that appears when when attempt to use the filename
completion features of the shell.

My question is this: Can I someone configure zsh to use vi style of
navigation (j is down, k is up, h is left, l is right)?

I can't just change the key bindings:

 bindkey "j" up-line-or-history

because then the j character doesn't work.

So is there a way to dynamically change the key bindings when the list
of files is displayed, and automatically change them back?

Thanks for any help you can provide.