Re: completion

On 01/07/2015 07:01 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
On 2014-12-11 11:34:20 -0800, Ray Andrews wrote:
Anyway, knowing that the star replaces the colons cracks it open.
This is a bit old, but... When can an asterisk replace a colon?
For instance, in:
which have one or several missing colons. This is from the
zshcompsys(1) man page.

If an asterisk can match anything, there may be an ambiguity on
which field some given word will match.

I'm glad I'm not the only guy who is puzzled by that.  I dunno
completion sorta works, and some people seem to understand
it, so I can't say much, but IMHO having a optional field
separator is madness.

first-name : last-name : job : fav. hockey team : city : vacation spot

Ray :*: Carpenter : Montreal
Ray : Andrews :*: Vancouver :*: Maui
:*: Andrews :*: Maui

... a bit hard to parse, but all 'true' if separators can be omitted.

Being just a mortal, this seems more tractable  to me:

:Ray::Carpenter:Montreal::Maui:
    I'm Ray, and Montreal is my hockey team

::Andrews:::Vancouver:Maui:
    I live in Vancouver

::Andrews:::::
    My last name is Andrews

:::Carpenter:::Maui:
    I'm a carpenter who vacations in Maui

:Montreal::
    Error! Not enough colons, there must be seven.