Re: PATCH: 5.0.8 notes

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Peter Stephenson
> There ought to be more worth mentioning...
>
> -Note in particular there is a security fix to disallow evaluation of the
> -initial values of integer variables imported from the environment (they
> -are instead treated as literal numbers).  That could allow local
> -privilege escalation, under some specific and atypical conditions where
> -zsh is being invoked in privilege elevation contexts when the
> -environment has not been properly sanitized, such as when zsh is invoked
> -by sudo on systems where "env_reset" has been disabled.
> +This is version 5.0.8 of the shell.  This is a stable release.
> +There are no significant new features since 5.0.6, but there

should this say .7?                                ^

I'm not sure how much we usually list here but here's some stuff from
a look through the git log,

${(p.$param.)

some numerous changes to the vi mode, i don't use it but maybe oliver
can chime in?

waiting on already exited processes

whence -v lists file function was defined in
       -S shows intermediate symlink steps

$(< error not fatal anymore

faster history lockfile retrying

zsh/db/gdbm module, ztie -r / zuntie -u

pattern support in watch variable

aliasing && and other tokens (this is already in NEWS, but not listed
separately for .8)

posix builtins and exec + assignments

--
Mikael Magnusson