Re: Proof of concept: "static" parameter scope

Rearranging a bit ...

On Sep 28,  7:04pm, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
}
} Despite throwing quite a few odd things at it, I've not been able to
} break it.

I tried to make Test/V10* pretty comprehensive.

} It'd be nice if typeset -p could tell you that it is a static variable.

Cf. previous discussion about printparamnode(), which as it stands has
always gotten "local" wrong as well.  Or more accurately, given that
"typeset" is equivalent to "local" when called in function scope, it
is "typeset" of globals that "typeset -p" has always gotten wrong.

} Theres also ${(t)...}.

Yes, this could also be fixed with an actual flag bit -- or by adding
another callback to the gsu structure, which could also potentially be
used to fix printparamnode(), but is a fairly large change.

} > +itemiz(An exported static remains in the environment of inner scopes but
} > +appears unset for the current shell in those scopes.)
} > +enditemize()
}
} That doesn't seem ideal.

Agreed, and the best way to handle it would be that statics can't be
exported, but since variables can be declared and exported in two
independent steps, I didn't want to meddle that deeply with "export".

At that point though, I hadn't had the idea of swapping out the actual
handler in the builtintab ... but I really think that particular hack
is to be strongly discouraged.

} It also seems that can be further affected if
} the variable is declared local in some inner scope.

Indeed, nothing prevents creating a local with the same name as a static
as long as the scope is not the same, and exported locals behave as they
always did.

As for naming ...