Obsolete stuff in compinstall? New stuff needed?

I was fiddling with compinstall to see if it would generate an interesting
set of default completers [*], and noticed that it offers a "completions"
zstyle for the _expand completer.  However, I don't see that _expand looks
for that setting.

This leads me to wonder whether there are other things compinstall is (or
is not) doing that it should.  Any suggestions for how to find out, other
than by exhaustive code examination?

--
Barton E. Schaefer