Subject: Re: Printf builtin missing v flag support
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski <[email-masked]>
To: Zsh hackers list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 22:26:37 +0100
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

On 31 December 2015 at 19:48, Bart Schaefer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Dec 31, 10:44am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> }
> } The feature is obviously useful but the print implementation is
> } a nightmare of special cases making it hard to change without
> } considerable refactoring. That would probably be a Good Work, given
> } enough test cases to check it, but is going to have to wait for a
> } volunteer.
> }
> } I haven't checked whether -v is already in use in which case this is moot.
>
> -v is not in use, and the print implementation has already been refactored
> to support the -z and -s options in printf, so this is actually rather
> easy.

Will this work for -x and -X? I requested earlier to make -X/x support
special outputs in order to avoid fork and you only mentioned what
would be needed to make this work. I was looking at printf
implementation and noticed many special cases and have chosen to
request the feature instead of implementing it. If now -x/X will work
with -v it will be great news to me because I will be able to quickly
expand tabs – without a fork or plain Zsh code.

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski