Subject: Re: backward-kill-shell-word widget
From: Daniel Shahaf <[email-masked]>
To: Sebastian Gniazdowski <[email-masked]>
Cc: Zsh hackers list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 20:13:25 +0000
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote on Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 08:42:23 +0100:
> On 1 January 2016 at 01:37, Daniel Shahaf <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > If you use zsh 5.1.1 or older, comment the 'zle -f' line.  (Without that
> > line, using this widget followed by another kill followed by a yank
> > won't include the text this widget killed in the yank.)
> 
> So you submit for people, not for commit? You could use is-at-least to
> submit for commit?

Compatibility is not the point; maintenance burden is.

If the functionality my widget provides can be implemented in terms of
existing widgets, then (a) perhaps my widget doesn't need to be
committed at all, and (b) if it _is_ to be committed, it should be
reimplemented in terms of existing widgets, if possible.

Similarly, when I asked whether there is anything my widget does
existing widgets don't, the point was that perhaps those widgets could
be improved.  For example, if my widget worked on Tuesdays and the
existing widgets didn't, then teaching select-in-shell-word or
"select-word-style shell" to work on Tuesdays would improve all widgets
implemented in terms of those two widgets, not only b-k-s-word.

Cheers,

Daniel