Subject: Re: backward-kill-shell-word widget
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski <[email-masked]>
To: Daniel Shahaf <[email-masked]>
Cc: Zsh hackers list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:36:58 +0100
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

On 11 January 2016 at 09:05, Sebastian Gniazdowski
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> I gave the example of Antigen code:
>
> local script_loc="$(ls "$location" | grep '\.plugin\.zsh$' | head -n1)

Example code for zgen would be:

for script (${location}/*\.plugin\.zsh(N)) -zgen-source "${script}"

Noshortloops breaks zgen, and short loops are AFAIK harmful as they
limit Zsh's detection of syntax errors. However I currently use zgen
and also tried antigen and OMZ to be in touch with the macrocosm of
Zsh users that has developed around Github. I'm aware they do not code
as Zsh Gods from IRC and mailing lists (not that I code in this way
either, it always amazes me how things in share/$ZSH_VERSION/functions
are constructed), however choose to test on myself what they
developed, to stay in touch with the number of users and trends they
establish. E.g., they developed a "plugin system" that adds plugin's
directory to $fpath. The effect on my system:

% echo $fpath
/Users/sgniazdowski/github/zgen
/Users/sgniazdowski/.zgen/psprint/zsh-navigation-tools-master
/Users/sgniazdowski/.zgen/psprint/zsh-cmd-architect-master
/Users/sgniazdowski/.zgen/psprint/zsh-editing-workbench-master
/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions /usr/share/zsh/site-functions
/usr/share/zsh/5.0.8/functions

So it's quite flooded (also note that they're prepending). In effect
of the testing, I wonder if one could develop a plugin system without
flooding $fpath?

PS. At least the author didn't use grep. Maybe the code isn't that
bad, haven't looked at it, currently test the things as black boxes.

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski