Subject: Re: backward-kill-shell-word widget
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski <[email-masked]>
To: Zsh hackers list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:38:54 +0100
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

On 13 January 2016 at 02:18, Daniel Shahaf <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote on Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 09:05:55 +0100:
>> for script (${location}/*\.plugin\.zsh(N)) -zgen-source "${script}"
>>
>> Noshortloops breaks zgen, and short loops are AFAIK harmful as they
>> limit Zsh's detection of syntax errors.
>
> I don't think this line of conversation is constructive.
>
> If you are aware of bugs in zgen or antigen, report those bugs to the
> respective projects.  But please don't spam -workers@ with mails that
> have no content other than enumeration of flaws in existing projects.

I saw this different, as an occasion to somewhat introduce Github
community to original Zsh mainstream. I think there's a crack between
that mainstream and the community, e.g. OMZ. Maybe I'm wrong as
zsh-syntax-highlighting was successfully introduced to Zsh-users on
Github.

All Github flavors of Zsh share one thing: fpath prepending "plugin
architecture". 115 plugins gathered on "awesome-zsh-plugins" Github
page. Guessing that almost all in spirit of colorful prompts,
completions, grepping, sedding. Not in spirit of patterns, zsh-lovers
or the book. That's a crack I think. I thought that I introduce how
the vital Github macrocosm operates (the "plugin architecture") so
that maybe there would arise a resolution to this. If Zsh mainstream
would design well thought through plugin architecture, then it would
be like this: rock solid architecture + any level of naivety (or
innocence:) of contributions (plugins). What should that
rs-architecture do? I leave this intentionally unsettled yet and
choose to occasionally test zgen, antigen or OMZ on myself, waiting
for ideas. But one thing that came up to me are reports from plugin
operation. If one could easily see a generated text document that
would enumerate which options, zstyles, aliases, etc. a plugin sets or
creates, then it would be possible to still own the system despite
dropping naive (or innocent:) plugins into it.

That said I accept OMZ, zgen, antigen despite they can be users stuck
in 'Zsh is about dropping parenthesis in variable assignment and about
[[ instead of [', mostly because their code just works (if
noshortloops isn't set ;), and users can just use the software (also,
fpath-based plugins are currently innovative). That's why I submitted
ZNT to OMZ and now await for merge of ZCA. I wonder if my email would
offend Robby Russell. I really shown acceptance by submitting my
projects to OMZ. But this doesn't change that we should care about
breaking out of the stuck to seeing that Zsh is about e.g. patterns,
not lack of parenthesis in assignment.

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski