Subject: Re: "drop-in replacement" and transpose-words-match
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski <[email-masked]>
To: Bart Schaefer <[email-masked]>
Cc: Zsh hackers list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:04:13 +0100
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

On 12 January 2016 at 08:32, Bart Schaefer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> This still isn't perfect -- if you are on or immediately after a space
> in the middle of a quoted string, for example, you'll swap around that
> space.  I haven't decided on the best way to deal with that.  But this
> works much better if you are at the end of a line and invoke transpose:
> it swaps the two words to the left, like the builtin.

I was looking at various sources in recent months and earlier, and was
getting an impression of how important LBUFFER is to them. Your
implementation of widen_for_history is recent example. I am in general
quite repelled by LBUFFER and can even see it as not actually working,
how it was with the widen_for_history – only after a while I saw that
it was working perfectly. However in my code I choose to use the
function I've attached, available also here:

https://github.com/psprint/zsh-editing-workbench/blob/master/zew-process-buffer

My point is: isn't it that sticking to LBUFFER is the source of
various problems? Its use is always more or less hackish and has
effects like "you should position cursor on beginning of a word to
swap it". Implementation generates features while it should be the
opposite.

It's hard for me to provide more evidence to what I'm stating, but
maybe you agree with me in general

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski