Subject: Re: ZPlugin
From: Paul Johnson <[email-masked]>
To: Sebastian Gniazdowski <[email-masked]>
Cc: Zsh hackers list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 11:36:53 +0100
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 09:57:49AM +0100, Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote:
> Hello
> Decided to change the topic and start a new thread, because I don't
> think that ZPlugin will be "mainstream" in any near future. Too long
> code, too sophisticated, requiring resistance to KSH_ARRAYS and other
> things. After a half year of development who knows, maybe it'll become
> a plugin manager of official Zsh choice. Am I not too pessimistic? Or
> optimistic.
> 
> That said it can be developed for a half year or a year, with
> mainstream eyes looking at the code, any objections being taken into
> account, to avoid OMZ situation where too much is happening in a black
> box of Advanced Bash Scripting Guide shell code.
> 
> I just added initial support for reporting of what functions a plugin
> creates, written in one hour:
> 
> http://asciinema.org/a/bnwoqgs96l1q7s8wjad1o70z8
> 
> Would gladly welcome any participation in the development, any
> objections and criticism. After some iterations of the function-diff
> support, I'll move to recognize any existing advanced plugin
> frameworks, like Zplug https://github.com/b4b4r07/zplug

Just an observation from the peanut gallery: as I understand it you have
created a more elegant solution to the core of a plugin system.  Would
it, therefore, make any sense, rather than building your own plugin
system from scratch, to fit your solution into an existing plugin
system, such as Zplug?

Are there sound technical reasons not to do so, or are you enjoying
building your own and want to continue with it?

-- 
Paul Johnson - [email-masked]
http://www.pjcj.net