Subject: Re: clear-screen widget and prompt expansion
From: Bart Schaefer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 07:37:31 -0800
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

On Feb 4,  3:12pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
}
} Shouldn't the prompt also be re-expanded (like when the screen is
} resized)? Or is it up to the user to create a new widget for that?

There was a deliberate decision made a long time ago that once ZLE
is started, the prompt is a relatively static part of the editor.
Originally this was because prompts are formatted by the shell (even
if ZLE is disabled) and ZLE was treated like a separate entity.

Window resize is particularly tricky because, depending on the window
manager/desktop application, SIGWINCH may be sent either only once
when the user releases the mouse button (or otherwise ends the drag-
resize operation), or multiple times in very rapid succession for every
incremental drag motion.

So it's left up to the user to decide how to handle that, typically by
something like
    TRAPWINCH() { zle && zle reset-prompt }