Subject: Re: reverse-menu-complete re-starting completion on 5.2?
From: Bart Schaefer <[email-masked]>
To: Zsh workers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 09:41:54 -0800
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

Meant to respond to this a while ago ...

On Feb 29,  1:45am, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
} 
} Even before that commit I can reproduce a variant of the problem by
} starting menu completion with reverse-menu-complete and then switching
} to a forwards menu complete.

Not surprising, really.

} [...] I'm really not sure why we need to be so
} strict about the completion widget matching the last completion widget.

The only reason I can think of is in case menu completion is invoked from
within a user-defined widget, or otherwise entered by a different widget
than simple forward/reverse menu completion.  In that instance the user is
presumably not continuing with the menu in progress but instead wants to
start over.  I.e. similar to tests of $LASTWIDGET in Functions/Zle/*.

} anyone foresee any problem with just relaxing the condition (see patch).

Maybe we'd need another flag action for "zle -f" to continue/interrupt a
menu in progress, but probably it will work as expected more often with
the patch than without.  I suggest you push and we'll find out if a need
for a flag arises.