Subject: Re: PATCH: Add SHORT_KEYBIND_DISCARD option
From: Oliver Kiddle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 16:33:27 +0200
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

On 3 Apr, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> Not sure how popular this option would be, but I'm fine with keeping
> it local too. Basically when we encounter an undefined key, instead
> of discarding the entire common prefix, we discard only one byte and
> try again. In most particular, it means if you happen to press escape
> or ctrl-x before pasting, we still properly detect the bracketed-paste
> starting code.

As a local fix, wouldn't simply binding the start code with each prefix
serve your purposes?
Didn't we discuss this issue a few months ago - have you perhaps got a
message reference? I haven't had the impression that it is bothering a
lot of people. And even without bracketed-paste, a prefix followed by a
paste is likely to have had undesirable results.

ZLE-specific stuff should ideally not leak into the base shell options.
Or we're you actually hoping to stimulate thoughts on other solutions:
perhaps a callback could be added like zle-keymap-select so you could
change the cursor shape or prompt after a prefix.

Oliver