Subject: Re: Zsh on Ubuntu on Windows
From: Jérémie Roquet <[email-masked]>
To: Tyler James Leonhardt <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Zsh Hackers' List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 15:18:36 +0200
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

Hello Tyler,

2016-04-23 14:51 GMT+02:00 Tyler James Leonhardt <[email-masked]>:
> Is support for zsh on Ubuntu on Windows in the works? Zsh being available
> on Linux, Mac and Windows would be incredible.

As I understand it, Ubuntu on Windows is literally “Ubuntu on Windows”
so, as Zsh is working like a charm on Ubuntu, I guess it's working as
well on “Ubuntu on Windows” without any change. But I may be mistaken.

> I love zsh so much on my MacBook Pro and now that Ubuntu on Windows is a
> thing, zsh on Ubuntu on Windows can finally be a thing.

Zsh on Windows has been working great for years without Ubuntu; you
might want to try MSYS2¹, which is basically “Arch within Windows”.
I'm using Zsh in it to do “Windows stuff“ and it works as well as one
could hope. On the other hand, I've been told (but haven't tried
myself) that the current build of Windows 10 only allows you to do
“Ubuntu stuff” on your “Ubuntu on Windows” (ie. you can't run Windows
programs) which for me kinds of defeat the purpose of having Zsh on
Windows (but I guess it will improve very soon).

Best regards,

¹ https://msys2.github.io/

-- 
Jérémie