Subject: Re: bracket-paste-magic adds backslashes inside a quoted string if URL is pasted ("regression" compared to pre-5.1 url-quote-magic)
From: Daniel Shahaf <[email-masked]>
To: Zsh hackers list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 22:20:39 +0000
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

Bart Schaefer wrote on Fri, May 13, 2016 at 04:06:45 -0700:
> Stepping outside the box a little here -- when url-quote-magic was
> written there was no such thing as the zle-line-pre-redraw hook.  It
> might be that a better approach would be to examine the entire buffer
> in that hook after the paste has finished and apply the quoting
> retroactively, rather than to do it character by character during the
> paste.  (On the other hand zle-line-pre-redraw is thoroughly co-opted
> by popular plugins like zsh-syntax-highlighting.)

So perhaps it's time to permit registering multiple functions to be
invoked at pre-redraw, as proposed in 37639?  This way, z-sy-h and
url-quote-magic could each register a pre-redraw hook function.

zle-line-pre-redraw has not yet been released: its interface can be
changed arbitrarily.  z-sy-h will be updated to use whatever interface
zsh-5.3 will be released with.

Cheers,

Daniel