Subject: Re: Regression: broken completion on modification time
From: Bart Schaefer <[email-masked]>
To: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>, zsh-workers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:47:12 -0700
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

On Jun 12,  1:32pm, Dima Kogan wrote:
}
} In zsh 5.0.5 (Debian version 5.0.5-2) I can type in an interactive
} shell:
} 
}   $ ls *(m
} 
} Then I press TAB to get the different ways to specify modification time,
} 
} [...]  If I update the zsh package, or use the zsh from git
} and do the same thing, I get no message, and instead the completion
} cycles between various integers.

This is from zsh-workers/35718 and the behavior you are seeing assumes
that you have menu-selection enabled (which will cause a much more
extensive set of completion responses to appear in a calendar format).
There was some controversy about this when it was added and discussion
of how to keep it from kicking in if menu selection was NOT enabled,
but I guess it never got fully resolved.

In the meantime, to mostly get your old behavior back:

    zstyle ':completion:*:dates' max-matches-length 0