Subject: Re: Regression: broken completion on modification time
From: Daniel Shahaf <[email-masked]>
To: Oliver Kiddle <[email-masked]>
Cc: zsh-workers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 23:24:37 +0000
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

Oliver Kiddle wrote on Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 18:32:57 +0200:
> Looking back at that mail, the complaint is that it does not tell you
> "what the syntax is without selecting the entry itself". I prefer
> to keep things compact to allow space for the calendar. How about
> using a style such as the following.

I like this particularly for the "sense" portion of the completion: with
this patch and extra-verbose set, the show-ambiguity style actually
highlights the "next typeable character", just like it does everywhere
else.  For the "time specifier" portion the change is also welcome.

However, with this patch and extra-verbose, the «'' - exactly»
alternative doesn't show.  (It's not just "hidden"; each of "- --
before" and "+ -- after" take half of $COLUMNS.)

I tried to reproduce this in 'zsh -f', but «echo *(m<TAB>» simply cycled
between various integers after the 'm'; it didn't give the calendar
completion at all.  It still did that with extra-verbose and
group-name='' set, I haven't debugged further yet.

> We have an extra-verbose style in _path_commands and this uses that
> though I could be persuaded to use just verbose.

I don't have an intuition for which of them is more appropriate, but
whichever it ends up being, I will set it in my config...

Cheers,

Daniel