Subject: Re: Regression: broken completion on modification time
From: Oliver Kiddle <[email-masked]>
To: zsh-workers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 18:19:43 +0200
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> I like this particularly for the "sense" portion of the completion: with

I think I'll just use the verbose style then.
(As an aside, I notice _git has a max-verbose style. Not sure if we can
change that for consistency with _path_commands.)

> However, with this patch and extra-verbose, the «'' - exactly»
> alternative doesn't show.  (It's not just "hidden"; each of "- --
> before" and "+ -- after" take half of $COLUMNS.)

How would you want to present the exactly match given that it inserts
nothing? In the past with the match -- description form, we didn't
include it. With the description only form it is less out-of-place.

> I tried to reproduce this in 'zsh -f', but «echo *(m<TAB>» simply cycled
> between various integers after the 'm'; it didn't give the calendar
> completion at all.  It still did that with extra-verbose and
> group-name='' set, I haven't debugged further yet.

You need to enable menu selection:
  zstyle ':completion*:default' menu 'select=0'
Pressing Ctrl-D (list-choices) a couple of times will also work.

This is a consequence of the line in _dates which does:
  compstate[list]='packed rows'

This could be adjusted so normal completion would dump the calendar.
But is a calendar without menu selection at all useful? Menu selection's
ability to convert a calendar date into relative days is the main use. 

Oliver