Subject: Re: Regression: broken completion on modification time
From: Daniel Shahaf <[email-masked]>
To: Oliver Kiddle <[email-masked]>
Cc: zsh-workers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 01:41:32 +0000
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

Oliver Kiddle wrote on Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 18:19:43 +0200:
> (As an aside, I notice _git has a max-verbose style. Not sure if we can
> change that for consistency with _path_commands.)

Change it how?  I don't see how max-verbose and extra-verbose can be
combined, since the former is an int and the latter a bool.

> Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > However, with this patch and extra-verbose, the «'' - exactly»
> > alternative doesn't show.  (It's not just "hidden"; each of "- --
> > before" and "+ -- after" take half of $COLUMNS.)
> 
> How would you want to present the exactly match given that it inserts
> nothing? In the past with the match -- description form, we didn't
> include it. With the description only form it is less out-of-place.
> 

As you said later, it'd have to show as «'' -- exactly» or « --
exactly».  (Or we could teach the C code to take '*(om=5)' for "exactly
five")

I mentioned the lack of "exactly" as a difference, but now that I think
about it, I suppose I think the "exactly" _should_ be displayed: firstly,
because displaying more options is better; secondly, because it is
displayed in non-verbose mode, and it'd be odd for setting the "verbose"
style to cause fewer options to be offered.

Another display option would be to use a dummy "string without a match"
as Bart said (compadd -E1) for something like

    → sense
    (for the "exactly" sense, skip/omit this field)
    + -- before
    - -- since

> > I tried to reproduce this in 'zsh -f', but «echo *(m<TAB>» simply cycled
> > between various integers after the 'm'; it didn't give the calendar
> > completion at all.  It still did that with extra-verbose and
> > group-name='' set, I haven't debugged further yet.
> 
> You need to enable menu selection:
>   zstyle ':completion*:default' menu 'select=0'
> Pressing Ctrl-D (list-choices) a couple of times will also work.

Got it, thanks.

Daniel