Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Re: [PATCH] _add-zle-hook-widget: New completion.
From: Daniel Shahaf <[email-masked]>
To: Oliver Kiddle <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 18:03:16 +0000
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

Oliver Kiddle wrote on Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 20:45:40 +0200:
> > > Furthermore, while checking that this wasn't intentional I noticed
> > > a couple of functions that use _normal where _default was meant.
> >
> > _default appears to be undocumented.
> 
> Actually it sort of is documented: the section on special contexts which
> mentions -default- and says that default implementations exist named
> _context.

Ah, I missed those since I just grepped zshall for /_default/.

> Should there perhaps be findex entries there for each context?

This would make a search for /_default/ succeed in the pdf/html
rendering, but won't affect the man page rendering.

I'm not sure what we can do for the man page version, short of
enumerating all the _foo, _bar, _baz names in the running text right
after the enumeration of -foo-, -bar-, -baz- names.

> Thinking about it, perhaps the original intention was that _dispatch
> should be used but direct calls to _default are widespread and date
> back to early times. How about the following.

I'm not sufficiently familiar with this corner of compsys to be able to
review the diff for completeness, but thanks for writing it.

Cheers,

Daniel