Subject: Script interpreter path length limit (POUNDBANGLIMIT)
From: Dennis Sperlich <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 20:41:12 +0200
List-Id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>

Hi,

i noticed an strange effect when calling a (python) script where the
interpreter is specified in the first line as follows:
#!/cvmfs/atlas.cern.ch/repo/ATLASLocalRootBase/x86_64/python/2.7.4-x86_64-slc6-gcc48/sw/lcg/external/Python/2.7.4/x86_64-slc6-gcc48-opt/bin/python

When i call this script from within zsh i get the following error:
zsh: $HOME/.local/bin/pip: bad interpreter:
/cvmfs/atlas.cern.ch/repo/ATLASLocalRootBase/x86_64/python/2.7: no such
file or directory

It seems like there is a arbitrary 63 character limit on the interpreter
char buffer. At least this is what i understand from the code in
Src/exec.c starting line 431.

So i'm wondering whether this is intentional and i'm not supposed to
point to interpreters with longer paths or just there due to historic
reasons? (i briefly checked, bash seems to have a limit of 79 characters
:-) )

Cheers
Dennis