Re: buggy CSH_NULL_GLOB when a pattern is at the command position

On 2016-01-01 12:39:40 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jan 1,  5:00am, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> }
> } When CSH_NULL_GLOB is set and the command line contains only patterns,
> } a "no match" error is not reported.
>
> Hm.  So what's happening here is that the error is suppressed in zglob()
> because it should only be reported if all globbing fails; but because
> the command position is globbed separately from the rest of the line,
> the caller is not expecting to handle this condition and glob failure
> is interpreted as an empty command line.
>
> You can see how this happens better if written this way:
>
> torch% [] echo foo
> foo
>
> The [] is discarded because of cshnullglob, so "echo" is actually the
> command.
>
> The patch below fixes the case where all command-position globs fail,
> although the error message is not the same as when cshnullglob is not set
> (which has always been true in other cases, so probably not a big deal).
>
> } Moreover, I wonder whether when a no-match pattern is at the
> } command position, one should always get an error (if possible).
>
> It's conceivable that somebody might actually *intend* the behavior in
> my example above, though I don't know why.

Actually, I wonder whether I have ever used a glob at the command
position on purpose. And it seems that such a glob often does not
make sense because globbing doesn't take $path into account:

zira% which emacs
/usr/bin/emacs
zira% emac*
zsh: permission denied: emacs-bug

So, this would mean that one would need to use the full path:

zira% /usr/bin/emac*

which also doesn't make sense if it expands to several words like
here:

zira% echo /usr/bin/emac*
/usr/bin/emacs /usr/bin/emacs24 /usr/bin/emacs24-x /usr/bin/emacsclient /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs24

So, independently of CSH_NULL_GLOB, perhaps there should be options
so that, at the user choice:

1) glob is not allowed at command position. But if really needed,
one can still do something like:

  command /usr/bin/emac*([1])

2) glob at command position is allowed, but fails if the number of
generated words is not exactly 1.

In my case, I think that I would be happy with (1).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>