Re: Printf builtin missing v flag support

On 12/31/2015 01:48 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Dec 31, 10:44am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> }
> } The feature is obviously useful but the print implementation is
> } a nightmare of special cases making it hard to change without
> } considerable refactoring. That would probably be a Good Work, given
> } enough test cases to check it, but is going to have to wait for a
> } volunteer.
> }
> } I haven't checked whether -v is already in use in which case this is moot.
>
> -v is not in use, and the print implementation has already been refactored
> to support the -z and -s options in printf, so this is actually rather
> easy.
>
> I noticed that "print" uses metafy() on the aguments to -z and -s, but
> "printf" did not, so I added metafy() for those cases.  Somebody holler
> if this is wrong.

Could zsh error when an invalid parameter name is used?

% printf -v -- '%s' foo
-v%
% printf -v '%s' foo
-v%
% printf -v
-v%

$ printf -v -- '%s' foo
bash: printf: `--': not a valid identifier
$ printf -v '%s' foo
bash: printf: `%s': not a valid identifier
$ printf -v
bash: printf: -v: option requires an argument
printf: usage: printf [-v var] format [arguments]

bash's printf -v can also assign to array elements, which isn't possible currently.

% typeset -A foo; printf -v 'foo[bar]' baz; typeset -p foo
-vtypeset -A foo

% printf -v 'a[2+2]' foo; typeset -p a
foo=( )

$ typeset -A foo; printf -v 'foo[bar]' baz; typeset -p foo
declare -A foo='([bar]="baz" )'
$ printf -v 'a[2+2]' foo; typeset -p a
declare -a a='([4]="foo")'