Re: Regression: broken completion on modification time

17.06.2016, 21:11, "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Jun 17, 6:19pm, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> }
> } How would you want to present the exactly match given that it inserts
> } nothing? In the past with the match -- description form, we didn't
> } include it. With the description only form it is less out-of-place.
>
> Isn't there a way to stick a dummy match into the listing just to take
> up space so that only the description will appear?
>
> } > I tried to reproduce this in 'zsh -f', but "echo *(m<TAB>" simply cycled
> } > between various integers after the 'm'; it didn't give the calendar
> }
> } This could be adjusted so normal completion would dump the calendar.
> } But is a calendar without menu selection at all useful?
>
> I think that in any case where the calendar won't be displayed [almost]
> immediately, an entirely different set of matches should be passed to
> compadd, or at least they should be added in a different order. The
> current ordering of the numbers etc. makes very little sense without
> the visual of the calendar, and they're inserted directly into the
> command line so completing after e.g. "ls *(m" you get things like
>
>     *(m0
>     *(m32
>     *(m31
>     *(m17
>     *(ms
>     *(mm
>     *(mh
>     *(md
>     *(mw
>     *(mM
>     *(m+
>     *(m-
>     *(m108
>     *(m107
>
> The user is left wondering "why 0 then 32 ?" and will never get to the
> s/m/h/d/w/M unless he perseveres whacking TAB 15 times, at which point
> "why did it stop at 17 ?"
>
> Also even when using list-choices:
>
> torch% ls *(m0
> zsh: do you wish to see all 233 possibilities (18 lines)?
>
> If I don't know there's a calendar coming, why would I answer "yes"?

I would say “yes” just to check what possibilities is it talking about. Question is why would I hit `<Tab>` in first place: if I did not see this discussion I would not ever suggest that completing a (mostly) numeric and in any case very short argument to `m` has any sense.

Also if I write `ls *(m)` with cursor after `m` and hit `<Tab>` I get “Completing: digit (invalid time specifier)” (nothing if I use `autoload compinit ; compinit` in `zsh -f`, or “Completing: `files'” with no list after `unsetopt completeinword`): the second main reason why I would not try this in the first place is that when you face the necessity of creating nested parenthesis it is far more convenient to use something that will write both parens at once (like various Vim autoclose plugins or my `,s` -> “`()<Left>`” binding) and place cursor in between, otherwise it may be too hard to get the expression closed properly, and zsh completion usually is inadequate if current word continues after the cursor (still sometimes I make use of “completeinword”, but this does not apply to any glob expressions with parenthesis/braces/brackets/etc). I do not think that I am the only programmer that is using this in zsh.

Particularly, the most failing thing is `ls foo{bar<Tab>}`: this usually either does nothing or expands immediately if I already happened to write a comma.