Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: [PATCH] New :P history modifier.
- X-seq: zsh-workers 39053
- From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] New :P history modifier.
- Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:06:14 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=brasslantern-com.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=from:message-id:date:in-reply-to:comments:references:to:subject :mime-version; bh=zCIQJEEjs+ZX7dJAlzebFWSoUHJPwOsuQ34ldFKSmPk=; b=Gx6Pz2EMgz+3bHfNi+isvLUqzaF3ENlGON/O+Ou4hRpZb+gK1jBQjr/W9XZFD3Zx/7 y82HQKnexb2BkiBNY7YPqCs+IDGQTy0h7MwnXGeA217Br+8q/82d/U9ZBR8sdkEzhkiF Uqs3thnenGyhIqf0EN9uo1rJHix1JcnbSmvQ8N+Ffv20jhrpOo1SHnM7DMbL8KOOVZSE xfp8LcNKsxb89vQTAOt8FqfABSkIwMLubcDSy1EeOn1yV+X1K/f6H4lQl7k4aoBQZCv1 hyC7EBwdfijldTYt20YRDRxAABk43PmtGKBpYDsgXH8K63ajb+wT8oVe55ouTfMoCPP0 3Nwg==
- In-reply-to: <20160817163141.GB9003@tarsus.local2>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <email@example.com> <160817000240.ZM19759@torch.brasslantern.com> <20160817163141.GB9003@tarsus.local2>
On Aug 17, 4:31pm, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
} - xsymlink() is not a drop-in replacement: it tolerates trailing
} non-existing path components. The single callsite in current master
} wouldn't care, though.
Pretty much my point; if there's only one call and they're equivalent
for that instance, why leave the special case?
} > Picking at the docs ...
} > Given that we went to the trouble of hashing it out, it is probably
} > worth noting that :a is intended to result in the path to along which
} > "cd" would change under the default setopts (no_chase_dots),
} 38945 made such a change; do you think further changes are needed?
Nah, that's probably good enough.
} > } + "a:absolute path, resolve '..' logically"
} > } + "A:same, then resolve symlinks"
} > } + "P:realpath, resolve '..' physically"
} > I'm not sure "logical" and "physical"
"lexical" and "physical" are probably good enough, given the mnemonic
helpfulness (P -> physical, a -> absolute).
} > The new word modifier ':P' computes the physical path of the argument.
} > it is different from the existing ':a' modifier which does always
} > resolves /before/here/../after to /before/after, and differs from the
} > existing ':A' modifier which resolves symlinks only after here/.. is
} > removed even when /before/here is itself a symbolic link.
} What about the "It is recommended [to audit uses of :A and change them
} to :P]" sentence that the original patch had, should it be kept or
IMO it can be kept.
Barton E. Schaefer
Messages sorted by: