Re: Where to start debugging zle recursive-edit? / Ctrl-C

On 5 October 2016 at 08:14, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 5,  7:31am, Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Where to start debugging zle recursive-edit? / Ctrl-C
> }
> } On 30 September 2016 at 22:44, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> } > You may need to find a more aggressive place to reset the timer, such
> } > as in the zle-line-pre-redraw hook, or else create a wrapper widget
> } > for recursive-edit.
> }
> } Was going to do this with periodic hook.
>
> For your purposes, the trouble with periodic is that it only executes
> right before a prompt.  Unless there's more to what you're saying than
> I'm understanding.

Had some obstacles to use the precmd but really not recalling them now.

> } Wrapper around recursive-edit would solve Ctrl-C problems, or you
> } meant something about rescheduling?
>
> I meant something about scheduling.

Hmm, could you reveal? I thought about trapping INT when detected that
in .recursive-edit, but directly that's "Ctrl-C problems" stuff

> } > Either way you'd want to examine $zle_scheduled_events
> }
> } Tried accessing the variable from zle widget and no luck
>
> My typo, it's $zsh_scheduled_events.  It's in the documentation for the
> sched module.

So no need to parse sched output at all, as I once wrote

> Either open a named pipe file (mknod p filename), or use the zsh/tcp
> module as in the example that appears in the documentation.

That are rather heavy-implementation things

> Another thing I've done quite successfully for a very long time is to
> assign to the TMOUT variable and use TRAPALRM() to take some action
> (such as update the time in my prompt).  This is close to the same
> behavior as sched but uses the alarm() system function so doesn't
> rely on zle read timeouts.

Thanks for info that this trap doesn't cause problems, I would be
definitely anxious about using it (expecting things like e.g. the
pick-up of z-sy-h state, but that's maybe plain simple lack of opt
localoptions), don't want to serve users heavy-implementation stuff,
but if the trap is proven to be robust, then..

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski