Re: Plans for 5.3?

Hi,

On 2016-12-01 03:28:16 +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 03:56:12PM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > Peter has subsequently said that he wants 5.3 to be out before
> > Christmas.
>
> That's actually necessary to get 5.3 into the next Debian Stable
> release.

Yes, an unpatched 5.2 is too buggy (in particular, I got crashes).
On my Debian machines, I had to rebuild zsh with 5 local patches.

> > We've called a moritorium on further optimizations (we got a lot
> > of those in the last few weeks that we weren't really expecting).
> >
> > So I would expect 5.3 to be out in time for January.
>
> Sounds as if this will become a close one. Some more details on the
> timeline:
>
> Debian's freeze for new upstream releases for the next Stable release
> is on 5th of January 2017. This means that I need to upload 5.3 to
> Debian Unstable latest on 24th of December to have chance to get it
> transitioned from "Unstable" to "Testing" before 5th of January.
>
> Details on the timeline at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/11/msg00002.html
>
> This though only works if there's no so called release-critical bug
> found in the package (which would prevent the transitioning), hence
> the earlier, the better, so that potential bugs can be fixed in time
> before Christmas.
>
> If I can upload 5.3 only just in time on Christmas eve, the
> transition will become a little bit like a lottery.

In the mean time, perhaps there could be a snapshot (I would have
actually hoped an alpha or beta release) in experimental, in case
bugs would be detected.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>