Re: Strange completion display with wrong matcher-list

Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...] there's a problem in your _my function

You are right, my guess about the cause was wrong.
There remains the change of behaviour between zsh versions:

> _arguments added matches, _files didn't

In my original example (which I had unfortunately shortened
for the posting), I had passed to the _arguments function
the option -A '-*'.

I had expected that _arguments (at least with -A '-*') would
return with an empty "state" when completing "my -<tab>".

In zsh-5.2, this was indeed the case (at least with -A '-*');
in zsh-5.3 it is no longer so (and so the _my function becomes
faulty for the reasons you explained).

Perhaps the cause is the following "bugfix":

 * 39611: Src/Zle/computil.c: with _arguments sets completion
          stopped if one of the rest arguments starts with a dash

Thanks for your explanation and sorry for the noise.