Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: [Bug] Builtin "which" prints errors to stdout instead of stderr
- X-seq: zsh-workers 41580
- From: Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: "Laurent, Jean-Baptiste" <jbl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Bug] Builtin "which" prints errors to stdout instead of stderr
- Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:49:08 +0200
- Cc: "zsh-workers@xxxxxxx" <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s2048; t=1503408664; bh=Otf18Gt8uNBo1wIZ8smQGEv2vLa/U4vX5UdT/+dd2As=; h=cc:In-reply-to:From:References:To:Subject:Date:From:Subject; b=cacD4IvO/XjN1dKI2HwjdNz+oRsmer3m9MotyjcVaHqYuBNxfaTVtzHZ5zLEtY3kWUjsUXlGkQvDFsjZMhFNQZnyQOh+Fr24pdJv8zkhszvgk64WXGoXqvb8KFCCPrt7qlsoe8DafYqimWNTNE/WOLJkYaSROmnYhziSKUy+9sgow8W0ob1VJ5uIPhLNdp9HaK639/+n8UEukZLJOOMvSDfEdHGQXl0HHisjcK3cqgaF7OlY0oenieWtRqfrAVC7er0+PgzxgtEz4SRAqVj8k3yS4sjaEQQSWD3EI5hoYzaRb2KZXRDVvW3/csKSOqnrS3zClnIUttrhv3bIMBS3lg==
- In-reply-to: <f72791edba9a4b52a30261f2267ffe12@FRVLZSRV045.ercom-net.local>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <f72791edba9a4b52a30261f2267ffe12@FRVLZSRV045.ercom-net.local>
"Laurent, Jean-Baptiste" wrote:
> Zsh 5.3.1 error message < XXX not found > is printed to stdout instead of stderr.
> Zsh 5.3.1 - 0 #> which ccache
> ccache not found
> Zsh 5.3.1 - 1 #> which ccache 2> /dev/null
> Zsh 5.3.1 - 2 #> which which
I believe this is actually intentional for compatibility with csh. It is
arguably not an error but informational. This last came up in workers/38747.
The which external was traditionally a C-shell script. Still is on
Solaris. Recent Linux has it as a binary and does send it to stderr. On
FreeBSD, it is silent.
If this keeps coming up, perhaps it'd be easier just to change it.
Messages sorted by: