"off by one fix in multiple prompts" breaks multiline prompt

Hi all,

This commit[1] discussed here[2] breaks line editing when the prompt spans
multiple lines, that happens for me since I include the full CWD in the
prompt. See [3] for a demo. In the first "echo", the "j" is not visible in
the command line and then when I try to edit the command line by adding a
space, the command line does not match what's executed.

This is on Debian amd64, using gnome-terminal 3.26.0.

[1]
https://sourceforge.net/p/zsh/code/ci/d8d9fee137a5aa2cf9bf8314b06895bfc2a05518/
[2] http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2018/msg00091.html
[3] https://gfycat.com/DecimalAdmiredJumpingbean