Re: Zsh: [7] + 23074 suspended (tty output)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 05:38:11 +0200
TS <debts@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> when emacs is wrapped inside function,
> then emacs is dead when:
>
> ^Z
> bg
>
> Does not happen when emacs called w/o function.
> See minimal .zshrc attached.
>
> % su -l heinb
> Password:
> tosh% emacs
>
> zsh: suspended  emacs
> tosh% bg
> [1]  + continued  emacs
> tosh%
> [1]  + suspended (tty output)  emacs

I'm not quite sure what you're doing here, but it seems to involve emacs
being suspended due to terminal output when it goes into the
*background*, which is entirely sensible as it's not even supposed to be
attached to the terminal then.  Quite when it attempts to write to the
terminal during this period is not up to the shell.  I'm not sure what
effect the function is having but I don't see how it can be affecting
writes from emacs.  My best guess would be it's adding some kind of
delay which is affecting how Emacs starts, but the actual interactions
going on are obscure.

I'm not actually seeing this behaviour myself anyway, but it sounds like
a race so that's probably not surprising.

This doesn't appear to be the problem Vincent was reporting, which I
can't get to happen with that minimal eclient().

pws