Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Feature request: ZSH_XTRACEFD variable
- X-seq: zsh-workers 44318
- From: Stephane Chazelas <stephane.chazelas@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Timothée Mazzucotelli <pawamoy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Feature request: ZSH_XTRACEFD variable
- Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 08:55:14 +0100
- Cc: "zsh-workers@xxxxxxx" <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:from:to:cc:subject:message-id:mail-followup-to:references :mime-version:content-disposition:content-transfer-encoding :in-reply-to:user-agent; bh=7Nx+NE8LzcL2Wo0QhmUkKgAxm7NxLx30UZjS1TVsOxE=; b=fnx2d9R4ocHaWTZhJe1W7Voqd+a3Lh29AEd4TAqAYYCPpqH4cQzgOlWoml0bqXOOni uip+wP9GjO3N194ImJQ72+7N9mA+5DEldHUqD22Q6DwCnpDTzqsRjiQV/mk9K83dv5rd F0mU01ksjNjNrf+5iCH0RbmRPDUJTUHA+d3JXhnnNIRGnioMg3n7cJ8B+FV0xI0kmsh4 fkD7Swwy9EevbMZZLGSMpqJg8qGbRtNWfIq8xcSIDvZAdLprhNT8gVn83tt5Jt4yWBn+ tCq07EsomrDwtlAb6joj/FAtAqS0N8qNeq7H9eMNin1ayY7qLKhyiMJ4b/HtRkAq9QE3 jDig==
- In-reply-to: <EL9xNuAdKSLWp41th3XxhRLVtul7jHkT9ons2s2c_35aNjCbCMzo4DqiCNV1SoNjdLhNgdUGLNMHQxQ9q4jDMcNIsxzonWx5jzOB5Hr8rBsfirstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mail-followup-to: Timothée Mazzucotelli <pawamoy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "zsh-workers@xxxxxxx" <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <EL9xNuAdKSLWp41th3XxhRLVtul7jHkT9ons2s2c_35aNjCbCMzo4DqiCNV1SoNjdLhNgdUGLNMHQxQ9q4jDMcNIsxzonWx5jzOB5Hr8rBsfirstname.lastname@example.org>
2019-05-17 15:08:57 +0000, Timothée Mazzucotelli:
> Similar to Bash (BASH_XTRACEFD), I would like to be able to
> change the file descriptor to which the XTRACE output is sent.
I second that.
There are several cases where xtrace is not usable without
such a feature, like when a script does var=$(myfunction 2>&1).
env BASH_XTRACEFD=7 7> debug.log SHELLOPTS=xtrace bash some-cmd
Is something I use often for debugging. I sometimes even go all
the trouble of changing /bin/sh to a symlink to bash just for
Being able to use zsh instead (with its much more powerful $PS4
customisation) would be very handy.
The zsh equivalent of bash's SHELLOPTS can be achieved with
~/.zshenv. I'm not suggesting zsh should add a SHELLOPTS
equivalent as it's quite dangerous a feature.
Messages sorted by: