Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
aptitude vs apt vs apt-get (was: Re: [Pkg-zsh-devel] apt autocompletion issue)
- X-seq: zsh-workers 44617
- From: Axel Beckert <abe@xxxxxxxxxx>
- To: pkg-zsh-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- Subject: aptitude vs apt vs apt-get (was: Re: [Pkg-zsh-devel] apt autocompletion issue)
- Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 01:21:26 +0200
- Face: 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
- In-reply-to: <95111-1564524783.256179@YmUe.6pjL.n2dY>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mail-followup-to: pkg-zsh-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- Organization: The Debian Project
- References: <email@example.com> <95111-1564524783.256179@YmUe.6pjL.n2dY>
Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Out of interest, what is the recommended apt* tool these
Depends on what you want to achieve or where you want to use it. They
all have their uses. :-)
TL;DR: Use aptitude if you need TUI or patterns, apt for CLI comfort,
apt-get/apt-cache for scripting and a stable CLI.
> Is aptitude the best or most powerful with apt as the simplified
> interface and apt-get just a historic relic?
Disclaimer: This might be biased as I'm a hardcore aptitude user. And
I'm one of the two current aptitude maintainers.
aptitude is still the most powerful sincec it's the only one with a
pattern matching language on packages. But apt and apt-get/apt-cache
might get this in the future, too.
There are still a few more differences which won't change that quickly:
* aptitude is the sole tool with a TUI. (And previously also contained
a GTK and a never released Qt GUI. Both were removed as they were
unmaintained and never really stable.)
* aptitude's dependency resolver is optimized on interaction with the
user, i.e. getting interactively further hints from the user on how
to solve a non-trivial dependency issue.
* apt and apt-get are optimized for one-shot solutions, i.e. try to
get the sanest solution first.
They're also usually faster than aptitude which tracks more metadata
needed for pattern matching or package displaying.
* apt is (currently) solely meant for commandline user by an admin. It
has far more comfortable defaults (e.g. color and progress bar) and
a not completely identical set of subcommands compared to
* apt-cache/apt-get have a stable commandline interface and are best
for scripting — for now unless you need the power of aptitude's
But beware: Even though a few years ago there was quite an effort to
make the exit codes of aptitude in error cases more consistent and
sane, there are still a few rough edges and inconsistencies in that
P.S. and JFTR: There is no such war between apt and aptitude. We've
merged both teams a year ago or so and all aptitude developers have
now also commit rights on apt and vice versa:
,''`. | Axel Beckert <abe@xxxxxxxxxx>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' : | Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin
`. `' | 4096R: 2517 B724 C5F6 CA99 5329 6E61 2FF9 CD59 6126 16B5
`- | 1024D: F067 EA27 26B9 C3FC 1486 202E C09E 1D89 9593 0EDE
Messages sorted by: