Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
[PATCH 0/1] Run final pipeline command in a subshell in sh mode
- X-seq: zsh-workers 44924
- From: "brian m. carlson" <sandals@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Run final pipeline command in a subshell in sh mode
- Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 23:41:18 +0000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=crustytoothpaste.net; s=default; t=1574638926; bh=u2pzQc09hXFt+cx5AyR3xIIDkmoJx9U7kHRKzuNPXOo=; h=From:To:Subject:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:Date:To:CC:Resent-Date: Resent-From:Resent-To:Resent-Cc:In-Reply-To:References: Content-Type:Content-Disposition; b=l9AwQKInLBIixY0ooamKc6g3WnoJiTBCkVTaG52TNtjIqWtHN5Oni2AIi69EXy9r9 m0xIqHZKyAY4hCNC2XOcMsX2aoZKhwOi3+ZFnxMAzvKOUvIwPps5+gPhH9NBHnWm0Y Orh0Hnoe4bAMh2D9CGY0I417bePF+XVqQ8a/1mo+ly5y/dMRtr5PHMZXCDrL43cSlc ncCPGcA6kMM2lpRnmV0gu+wp+YZwz7ZMDwwMt7Srp6lbC/ggcobkdh/krHVzG4aDXb losPPS9W4t8CNxzClPsHqWC0FKZwCg3Q73rhpbESW/0Pv17cdoqs/3ahd/WBaMzedC ILSZW2T0gIcEhHk40u4fDAE9dKW+pL5XueK+WM1nnQOg+OjhdWNLIFumApZ9LhLwbe hhCyUVsauRBpvearAZ85GwcUsqRGpPelTyjQEZreVn81oRfLVLXKJmCq6YSuD2Vj/S WmRWo15MDy5M2JacXZ60EkNUsxCAaZmv/R58ArD3wxh1h9Idi6A
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
POSIX sh implementations run each command in a pipeline in a subshell,
although zsh (and AT&T ksh) do not: instead, they run the final command
in the main shell.
zsh is starting to be used in some cases as /bin/sh, such as on macOS
Catalina. Whether this is a good idea or not, it makes sense to emulate
the POSIX behavior as much as possible when emulating sh, since that's
the least surprising behavior. This patch does exactly that.
With this patch, using "zsh --emulate sh" passes all but one test of the
Git testsuite. The remaining failure is due to zsh preserving NUL bytes
in the output of command substitutions, which is permitted by POSIX; I
will be sending a patch to fix that bug in the Git testsuite.
I will admit that some of the tests included look bizarre, such as
piping to an assignment, but I felt it was important to hit as many
cases as possible.
I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me with any comments, and
I'll try to address them promptly. If you'd like me to include a
changelog entry, please say so, and I'm happy to include one.
brian m. carlson (1):
exec: run final pipeline command in a subshell in sh mode
Src/exec.c | 10 ++++++----
Test/B07emulate.ztst | 22 ++++++++++++++++++++++
2 files changed, 28 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
Messages sorted by: