Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install

> On 14. Feb 2021, at 2.34, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would suggest that (1) there be a path into (a possibly less verbose
> version of) the current zsh-newuser-install questionnaire, with the
> default choice being to simply install the "recommended" zshrc, and
> (2) the recommended file include the $startline and $endline markers
> so that someone who wants to dive into the questionnaire later can do
> so.

No, I completely disagree here. I don’t think anybody wants the questionnaire. It’s extremely cumbersome to use. Editing your .zshrc file is actually easier. The hard part is trying to figure out what to put in there and what it all actually does. That’s what we’re trying to help new users with here.

> This also leaves open the possibility that (3) we could offer two
> "recommended" zshrc files, the one we've been working on here and a
> minimalist one as described by Roman.

My feeling is that the % of new users that actually wants what Roman describes it is tiny. And those that do want it can a) choose not to run zsh-newuser-install and write such a simple .zshrc file themselves or b) just delete what they don’t like from the generated .zshrc file. Let’s not add unnecessary moving parts to this. Let’s instead focus on getting new users a better out-of-the-box experience.