Re: Completion script for the ctags program

Jacob Gelbman wrote on Wed, 03 Mar 2021 20:39 +00:00:
> I got a little bit hung up on one of the points, which was what to do
> about option names that can include the language such as —alias-<lang>,
> If I actually added what the <lang> could be, the listing would be too
> long to read.

If all the --extras-{foo,bar,baz} options have the same description,
they'll be grouped in the output, which would make it easier to read.

Could those options be put in a different group than the other options?
Compare the output of «git <TAB>» with «zstyle ':completion:*' group-name '' &&
zstyle ':completion:*' format '> %d'» in effect.  (That output can also
be "paged" by setting the tag-order style appropriately.)

to "too long to read" listings?  (I wouldn't normally propose knobs, but
these two already exist.)

How about declaring a repeatable option called «--extras-» that takes
a pasted argument in the same word:

_f() {
  if compset -P '(#b)--extras-([^-]*)=*' ; then
    compadd - "extras for $match[1]";
  else
    _arguments : '*--extras--[foo]:bar: compadd -S "" C= python= zsh='
  fi
}
compdef _f f

The else branch uses «-S ""» to avoid auto-adding a space (works with
menu selection, at least).  The if branch could parse `ctags --list-kinds`,
etc., to offer completions specific to the language.

The snippet above doesn't handle the case «ctags --extras-C <TAB>».

> I like it to just show the format of the option, just so you can see
> it in the listing when you press tab, but not overwhelm the output.

I see your point, but it means the command-line after tabbing will read
«ctags --extras-\<lang\>=<CURSOR>».  That doesn't seem user friendly at all.

> I can do the other things though.

Wonderful.  Looking forward to the patch, then.  (You needn't wait until
the --foo-<lang> question is decided on.)

Cheers,

Daniel