Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)
- X-seq: zsh-workers 48423
- From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Marlon <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx>
- Cc: Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx>, Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)
- Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 09:36:46 -0700
- Archived-at: <https://zsh.org/workers/48423>
- In-reply-to: <E9B97A4D-3406-449E-86FD-6CC5DFC21935@gmail.com>
- List-id: <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- References: <CAHYJk3Sh8ErYyObh=nURosOnj4+bsB1WsxhOi_-e=n_1fjAQ6Q@mail.gmail.com> <E9B97A4D-3406-449E-86FD-6CC5DFC21935@gmail.com>
On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:29 AM Marlon <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...] that’s why I added Backtab to do what, since that actually doesn’t have any function by default [...]
It doesn't have a function because (formerly, at least) a lot of
keyboards didn't recognize Shift-Tab as different from Tab.
> Sadly, without using _generic, it’s not possible to enable or disable menu selection on an individual widget basis.
zstyle -e ':completion::*:default' menu \
'[[ $WIDGET = (|reverse-)menu-complete ]] && reply=(yes select interactive)'
> >> # On startup, initialize dir stack from file.
> > Does this start zsh in some other directory than it inherited from the
> > terminal? If so, nak from me on that, way too surprising.
> It makes the shell pick up in the same dir as where you left off last time. I would hardly call that surprising. In fact, I would pretty much call that _expected_ for most applications nowadays.
That would drive me insane unless the directory were somehow bound to
the window position (which we've already debated and concluded is
impossible in all but some very specific circumstances). I definitely
DO NOT want every new shell starting in whatever directory I last had
a shell in, particularly for remote shells. A shell is not like
Messages sorted by: