Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)
- X-seq: zsh-workers 48467
- From: Marlon <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Cc: İsmail Dönmez <idoenmez@xxxxxxx>, Arseny Maslennikov <arseny@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kamil Dudka <kdudka@xxxxxxxxxx>, Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)
- Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 14:23:32 +0300
- Archived-at: <https://zsh.org/workers/48467>
- In-reply-to: <20210407162447.GB6316@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2>
- List-id: <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- References: <CAHYJk3Sh8ErYyObh=nURosOnj4+bsB1WsxhOi_-e=n_1fjAQ6Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAH+w=7buB+hUY6ufROgGTRc4SPzqjRuO6e4vq2gU4q_UzJHemail@example.com> <FF8C7887-BA44-4317-AA7C-CB2F7296F078@gmail.com> <20210407162447.GB6316@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2>
> On 7 Apr 2021, at 19:24, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think there's a distinction to be drawn between "stuff we should
> enable in the default zshrc" and "cool stuff that people might want to
> use, or read to learn about useful tricks/features".
> I agree with Mikael and Bart that most of your zshrc falls under the
> latter category. That has its place (cf. Misc/vcs_info-examples), but
> it's too magical for the default.
> That's also one of the standard criticisms against oh-my-zsh, by the way.
I have heard many criticism against OMZ, but it being “too magical” is new to me. What exactly do you mean with that?
>> Some quotes:
>> "this zshrc offers a lot of tricks I personally wanted to use but didn't know they were already implemented; thanks a lot for shining a light on them!”
>> "I gave it a spin and it looks very nice, much less scary than the default one. I've checked the default .zshrc and it looks fine to me."
> If the author of the second quote wishes to join this thread, they're of
> course welcome to do so. They might change their opinion, or change
I’ve now CC’d them, plus the others from which I’ve gotten feedback, on this email.
Messages sorted by: