Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: [RFC][PATCH] `newuser` prompt theme
- X-seq: zsh-workers 48577
- From: "Daniel Shahaf" <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: "Arseny Maslennikov" <ar@xxxxxxxxx>, "Marlon Richert" <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx>
- Cc: "Zsh hackers list" <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH] `newuser` prompt theme
- Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 18:52:31 +0000
- Archived-at: <https://zsh.org/workers/48577>
- In-reply-to: <YHcKjmoRmpcy+Cks@cello>
- List-id: <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- References: <CAH+w=7am=oS7FEpOOc=vUDLWN3iVQ8--ewqDOJLS2TheDag6TQ@mail.gmail.com> <7E71FA83-356E-448B-9726-02DF3FF5BD14@gmail.com> <CAH+w=7ZBsfiJwC-PYBvOVgrgGmC4RTYt9rRroGiqo_rzVSBJHQ@mail.gmail.com> <873D08A9-F321-474A-8440-CCE7DCCBA529@gmail.com> <20210414120551.GA3882@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2> <6CEA4F3E-9A64-44E1-9121-FA9D5E053AB5@gmail.com> <YHcKjmoRmpcy+Cks@cello>
Arseny Maslennikov wrote on Wed, 14 Apr 2021 15:30 +00:00:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 04:17:02PM +0300, Marlon wrote:
> > > Why shouldn't the
> > > theme just advise people to set the vcs_info directly?
> > Because it’s a theme? If people wanted to style their vcs_info directly, then why would they use a theme? Conversely, VCS info is the number one thing that new users want to add to their prompt. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that to be included out of the box.
> This has not been brought up in this thread, but prompt themes do accept
> command line arguments. So we could have «prompt marlon» which does not
> include vcs_info in the prompt for the users that want a more responsive
> prompt or use rotational storage, and «prompt marlon --vcs-info» which does.
> vcs_info is designed just so it is configured separately with its own
> zstyles, though; IMHO it's unfair for a prompt theme to modify that
> configuration, but OK to make a decision to use/unuse it.
Well, the «vcs_info $user_context» usage does exist. Perhaps a prompt
theme could use that and then set appropriate styles…
Messages sorted by: