Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: sysexits.h codes? (was: Re: [RFC][PATCH] `newuser` prompt theme)
- X-seq: zsh-workers 48755
- From: Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Cc: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: sysexits.h codes? (was: Re: [RFC][PATCH] `newuser` prompt theme)
- Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 22:40:19 +0300
- Archived-at: <https://zsh.org/workers/48755>
- In-reply-to: <20210414140950.GH3882@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2>
- List-id: <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- References: <CAH+w=7am=oS7FEpOOc=vUDLWN3iVQ8--ewqDOJLS2TheDag6TQ@mail.gmail.com> <7E71FA83-356E-448B-9726-02DF3FF5BD14@gmail.com> <CAH+w=7ZBsfiJwC-PYBvOVgrgGmC4RTYt9rRroGiqo_rzVSBJHQ@mail.gmail.com> <873D08A9-F321-474A-8440-CCE7DCCBA529@gmail.com> <20210414120551.GA3882@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2> <6CEA4F3E-9A64-44E1-9121-FA9D5E053AB5@gmail.com> <20210414140950.GH3882@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2>
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 5:09 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >> @@ -0,0 +1,197 @@
> > >> +readonly -ga sysexits=(
> > >> + USAGE
> > > ⋮
> > >> + CONFIG
> > >
> > > Two interrelated scripts on zsh.org hardcode these constants too.
> > > I wonder if we should provide these constants in a standard autoloaded
> > > function or preset variable.
> > A preset variable would be great. In C code, you can get the names and values from `sysexits.h`, which is available in both GNU and BSD.
> An associative array mapping symbolic names to integers?
I think we could settle for just an array of names, to be consistent
> Just those available on the target system, or?
sysexits.h tries to standardize exit codes. Having different $sysexits
on different target systems would defeat its purpose.
> > It would be great if, besides printing the name, it could also add a
> > short description of what the exit code actually means. Something like
> > “SIGPIPE (140): write on a pipe with no reader”.
> There's precedent to work with:
> % =pwd | true
> zsh: broken pipe =pwd
> I suppose the default should be about this level of verbosity.
> Other degrees of verbosity could be considered.
Having an option to make error messages more verbose would be great
for new users. "broken pipe", for example, sounds a lot worse than it
really is. :)
Verbose descriptions could be copied from BSD's signal.h or man 2
sigaction. I think those are pretty decent.
Speaking of which, this reminds me of what Paul wrote in workers/48236:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 4:29 PM Paul <GammaFunction@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> - I half-agree with not unsetting clobber. noclobber is better default
> behavior (it prevents much more damaging surprises), but just seeing
> "file exists" or "no such file or directory" without any '>|' or '>>|'
> suggestion is frustrating.
That could use a more helpful message, too.
Messages sorted by: