Re: $PPID not updated when the PPID changes (parent killed)

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 1:28 PM Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > $PPID means the ID of the process that spawned this one, not the
> > current value of getppid().
>
> OK, then I think that this should be clarified in the man pages.

I wonder if the phrase "As for $$," is part of the confusion here.  It
could be read to mean either "In the same manner as $$, ..." or as
"Conversely, $$ ..." (the former being the correct interpretation).

Still mulling over possible rewording (at the very least change "for"
to "with" in that phrase).  Suggestions that don't try to explain unix
process hierarchy management in detail, are welcome.