Right-arrow character and autocomplete

Greetings,
perhaps this has been reported before (many times?), but here it goes.
If there is an arrow character in the prompt, hitting TAB to
autocomplete will always duplicate the command written so far.

I've had this problem for a couple months already (presumably after an
zsh update), on both kubuntu 20.04 and manjaro(KDE). To reproduce, one
needs only do PROMPT="→" on .zshrc, open a terminal, start typing some
command (e.g. ls) and hit TAB: the command (ls) will be written twice.
Happens every time.

If you need any more information, I'm happy to help.

Best,
Darío Cuevas