Re: PATCH: Fix inverted condition for unique completions

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 10:09 AM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay, so UNIQALL means to remove only consecutive duplicates, and
> UNIQCON means keep all duplicates. Right. That doesn't make any sense,
> but it does match what the original code does (I think).

I suppose it depends on what CON is supposed to mean.  I think the
meaning is to collapse only consecutive duplicates down to one
occurrence, so duplicates with intervening non-duplicates may still be
left.  E.g., similar to the difference between "sort -u" (UNIQALL) and
"uniq" (UNIQCON).

> With that in mind, I have the following patch instead, any objections
> to this?

I don't immediately see any problem with it, unless my remark above
changes your understanding somehow.

> PS the manpage says -V is required for -1/-2 but -J with -o nosort
> works as well which is what happens below.

That makes some sense, yes.