Re: We should get 5.9** out soon

dana wrote on Thu, 31 Mar 2022 00:34 +00:00:
> On Wed 30 Mar 2022, at 11:51, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>> Lots of accumulated fixes, but probably the most important is to
>> un-break line-buffered input (workers/49792), since that problem was
>> introduced by the 5.8.1 security release.

I don't think the regression in 5.8.1 is a reason to release a 5.9; it's
only a reason to release a 5.8.2.  That could have a shorter pre-release
testing period ("soak"), and wouldn't force people to choose between the
regression in 5.8.1 and any as-yet-undiscovered regressions 5.9 might
feature (which is more likely than usual because of how large the
5.8→5.9 diff is).

We _should_ release 5.9 — it's been way too long since 5.8 — but not
because of that regression.

> I'm ready whenever.
>
> @Daniel, did you want to see us sort out the VCS_Info escaping stuff we
> pushed back from 5.8.1? I'm not in a position to steer that myself; if
> you're not either we can push it back again.

Do I want to progress the open issue, consense upon it, and resolve it?
Yes.  Do I think it's a release blocker?  No, because it's neither
a regression nor severe enough.

> Is there anything else that anybody would like to see go in (besides
> the dedication we discussed off-list)? Any timing considerations?

Over here, I haven't yet gotten around to reviewing the threads earlier
this year where Bart mentioned a few open issues.  I'd like to do so,
but that shouldn't block the release either.

> On Wed 30 Mar 2022, at 11:51, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>> ** Or 6.0 or whatever we're calling it.
>
> Does anyone have any strong feelings about 5.9 vs 6.0? I don't.

I'd prefer 5.9 because we haven't made a backwards-incompatible change.

> (Again i've only been loosely paying attention lately, sorry if i've
> missed anything)

So, I'd recommend to first release a 5.8.2 that's 5.8.1 + select patches
(including the regression fix) and then to start the 5.9 release train.
If needed, I could try to find time to RM 5.8.2, but honestly I'm
stretched thin as it is.

Cheers,

Daniel
(excuse brevity)