Proposal: Use Markdown syntax for README and other documentation

Hello,

I have proposal to use markdown syntax for the README and other documentation in the project repo. Presently the files adhere to the minimal styling from alternate syntax which mainly comprises of two levels of headings. Also there is no .md​ file extensions, which prevents markdown recognition by offline editors and Github.

As an initial step, I have separated out the list of backward incompatibilities to the file COMPATIBILITY and formatted the shorter README with markdown in this PR. You may have a look at the file, as rendered by Github here. I think the efforts will enable the documentation to be more accessible and easy to navigate.

Let me know your thoughts on the matter!

Bevan Stanely